Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 4: Parents and Day 5: Siblings

I had a busy day yesterday and didn't get around to blogging, but that's okay because I think these two topics belong together.

Parents

I am so incredibly lucky to have the parents that I have. I can't imagine it being any better. My parents love the Lord and it shows in their lives. My dad left an extremely comfortable job to follow God's call for him to serve in the ministry. While it was my dad's job, my mom also had to step out on faith that his career change would support our family. She is the picture image of the Proverbs 31 woman. She supported my dad's decision and she has been a constant support to all of us. I don't know any other way to explain other than that my parent's have set the example of how I hope to raise my future children. 
Love. Spiritual guidance. Discipline. Encouragement. Support.

I now consider my parents two of my closest friends. It seems we have grown so much closer now that I'm married. I hope it just keeps getting better. 




Siblings: Big Brothers, Sisters-in-law, and my Not-so-little Brother on the way!!

I have always joked that I missed out on a girly childhood because I grew up with two big brothers... but honestly, I don't think I missed out on a thing. Growing up with two big brothers made me feel safe. I never remember needing protection, but I think if I ever did... I could count on them. As I've gotten older, I realize how much I look up to them. Jeremiah is a student at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. I couldn't be more proud of him. I know that he is going to do some awesome things for God's glory. Zach is currently in EMT school and it makes me so happy to see him thriving. He is doing amazing right now and one day he will save lives. How awesome is that? I don't know if they know it, but these two men are two of my biggest heroes. If you're reading this... I hope you know how much you mean to me. I love you.

On June 7, 2008, I got a big sister, Darlene. I know without a shadow of a doubt that there is no one better for my big brother than this sweet, godly, wonderful woman. I am so happy that they found each other. I am also thankful that I now have the older sister I always longed for... someone I could go to for advice or share my concerns/fears with. When Jeremiah married you, he made my dreams come true too. Then on August 28, 2010, when I married my best friend, another one of my best friends, Haley, became my little sister. How do I get so lucky? I finally have the little sister I've always wanted... to watch Disney princess movies with, to go shopping with, to go on silly adventures with. I love my sisters.... they were so worth the wait.


And now the biggest news of all.... I'm getting a new brother!!! Around Christmas, my parents told us that they were feeling led to take in a foster child with the intentions of adopting him. A few weeks ago I met him for the first time. I am so excited! His name is Brandon and he is 16 years old. So far, from the two times I've hung out with him I know he is very positive, incredibly respectful, really nice, pretty hilarious, and he loooooooooooooves football. We're all hoping that the approval process will go quicker than normal, but becoming approved as foster parents takes a lot of meetings, classes, and paperwork. My parents really hope they can get approved and get Brandon moved in in the next month or so. I can't wait to get to know him better. I also can't wait for next football season... I plan on going to a bunch of games to cheer on my little brother. :)

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! This is so exciting!! I would LOVE to do an older child adoption one day!! The general rule is "always adopt younger than your youngest" so birth-order doesn't get messed up. So, it will be awhile, but I really hope to do this in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm really excited too. :D
    I was kind of anxious at first... mostly because I was unsure how I would be able to get to know him since I don't live at home anymore. After meeting him, I feel a lot better. I already feel like a big sister. :)

    ReplyDelete