Well, it has been a long, long, long time since I last blogged, but that is about to change. I have many, many, many DIY projects to share. First up is my striped duvet.
A few months ago, I saw this striped duvet from West Elm via Pinterest. Honestly, $70 is not bad for a duvet, but when I saw this nearly identical duvet at Target for $25, I was sold. That was until I got home and realized the bright white stripes looked absolutely horrible with our ivory trim. So what's a girl to do? First option... paint the trim. Yeah, that's not happening. Second option... search near and far for a navy and ivory duvet. Nowhere to be found (at a reasonable price). Third option... make my own duvet.
Here was my plan.
-Get two navy queen sheets sets ($18.97) and one ivory queen flat sheet ($14.99)
-Cut the ivory sheet into 5 twenty inch strips.
-Fold each strip in half, making it a ten inch strip and sew it closed. (Now the ivory is doubled up so you will not see the navy through it.)
-Lay one navy sheet flat and then lay the ten inch strip across it. Pin it in place and top-stitch it along both edges.
-Repeat, repeat, repeat, and repeat.
-Once all the stripes are sewn on, pin the other navy sheet to the front of the first sheet so it is inside out.
-Sew along the outsides but leave one area undone to create an opening for the filling.
-I was intimidated by buttons, so I chose to put in a zipper. I forgot to write down what the cost, but I think it was like $6.
So in total, it cost me roughly $60 and a lot of man hours, but that also includes two fitted sheets and four pillowcases I would not have received if I bought the West Elm duvet. I am extremely happy with how it turned out. I love my super thick, bold stripes that don't clash with the trim. And that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I stripe it. :)
Also in this picture, there are 5 more DIY projects that I'll break down in the near future... and that's just this side of the room.
No comments:
Post a Comment